One of the most exciting activities in the Korean exchange program is the cooking activity. I feel so excited to learn how to cook Korean foods and enjoy them to the utmost. The first food we cooked together was 떡꼬치 TTeokkochi (Spicy Fried Korean Rice Cake Sticks).
These rice cake sticks are delicious Korean street foods. They are easy to make and easy to bring along. After being fried in deep oil, the rice cakes are very hot and crunchy. The spicy sweet sauce adds more flavours to them. I love biting the crunchy crust outside dipped in the hot spicy sauce. Roasted sesame also creates an attractive scent for the rice sticks.
1 pack of long rice cakes
1 Tbs Vegetable Oil
For the sauce:
· 2 tbs Ketchup
· 3 tbs of go-chu-jang (spicy red pepper sauce)
· 1 tbs of sugar
· 1/2 tbs of Soy sauce
· 1 tbs of mool-yut 물엿 (corn syrup)
· 1/2 tsp minced Garlic
· a dish of roasted sesame
1. Defrost the long rice cakes by putting them in the boiling water for about 1 or 2 minutes. If they are soft already, you can skip this step.
2. Put about 2 rice cakes on a toothpick to make a skewer.
3. Oil the pan, put the skewered rice cakes in and fry on each side until they turn gold brown for about 1 or 2 minutes.
4. Put the fried rice cakes on a dish to cool for a minute.
5. Mix the sauce ingredients in a big bowl.
6. Drizzle the roasted sesame and sauce on the fried rice cakes.